Now you may think that jicama is high in carbs, which it is, however half of those are dietary fiber which are good for you, so cut that in half. I guess I would like to think that it is a healthier option than fast food french fries. I was very excited to try this recipe out because I absolutely love french fries and since we started our “wedding diet” I have not been able to enjoy them as often as I would like.
The other night Jamie and I were thinking about dinner and what side dish we should include with our chicken. After looking on the internet for healthy (but delicious) options, I came across a Paleo recipe that is very similar to french fries. You may think that Jicama would be too moist to become crunchy fries, however it totally worked. And the paprika flavor was very nice paired with the jicama flavor. Don’t hesitate to cook these – they are a fantastic healthier option for a weeknight dinner.
We served this side dish with my Cauliflower Breaded Chicken, it was perfect!
- 1/2 medium size Jicama (there is only two of us, and half of the jicama was enough)
- 2 tablespoons Macademia Oil (can use olive oil, we love the nutty flavor)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Paprika to taste (we loved the flavor, so added a little extra)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel Jicama with potato peeler.
- Chop the top and bottom off jicama (so that it lays flat on cutting board), and chop into fries.
- Cover cookie sheet with wax paper (I used double-sided, with foil on one side) and place fries onto cookie sheet. Spray (or drizzle) Macademia oil and top with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until desired crispiness. (we love them crispy!)