First thing about this cauliflower recipe – it takes longer than you think Usually when Jamie cooks I am always so worried about when we are eating (hopefully before 9pm) – well this time it took me a lot longer than I thought to make homemade pizza sauce and cauliflower crust. Now that I have done it once though I have learned and can’t wait to make it again.
I started by shredding the cauliflower in the food processor into crumbles. I did not use the whole cauliflower, probably a little more than half and saved the rest for a future dinner since cauliflower is one of my favorite ingredients to cook with recently. Then I cooked the cauliflower in the microwave for about 8 minutes in a micro-wave safe bowl and let it cool for 10-15 minutes.
After I let the cauliflower cool I mixed in the ingredients for the “dough” – eggs, 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, oregano, basil, salt, and garlic powder. Go ahead and pre-heat your oven now for 450 degrees and roll the mixture into a ball in the bowl. I took out my pizza stone, sprayed it with Mac Oil and rolled the “dough” out as evenly as possible. I love the nutty flavor that the Mac Oil gives to things so I sprayed (with the Evo sprayer) the top of the dough and baked it for 30 minutes. You want to watch it while it cooks because the edges start to burn a little, but make sure that it is cooked in the middle, because there is cheese in the mixture it adds extra moisture and therefore making it a little smooshy.
After the dough was cooked I removed it from the oven and spread my Homemade Tomato Sauce, placed sliced fresh mozzarella cheese, sprinkled shredded mozzarella cheese, and placed sliced chicken sausage pieces. Then I placed it back into the oven until the cheese was melted. I removed the pizza from the oven and sprinkled arugula on top and placed it back into the oven for a minute or so, making sure not to cook it too long so the arugula doesn’t wilt. Slice and serve!
And of course I had my Sous Chef Dexter close by 😉
- 1 large cauliflower
- 2 large organic brown eggs
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (1 cup goes in crust)
- 2 balls of fresh Buffalo mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tblsp Macademia Oil (just about)
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tomato, sliced into rounds
- 1/2 cup Arugula lettuce
- 2 chicken sausage links (we used Trader Joe's - those are my favorite)
- Homemade Tomato Sauce (click here to see the recipe and ingredients)
- Shred cauliflower in food processor into small crumbles.
- Cook cauliflower in the microwave for 8 minutes. Make sure to allow to cool for 10 minutes or so.
- Add eggs, 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, oregano, basil and garlic powder. Stir together to combine and roll into a ball. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Spray pizza stone with Mac oil and roll "dough" out flat. Make sure that it is thin and evenly pressed.
- Bake in the oven for 18 minutes, or until edges are golden brown. Make sure it is cooked all the way through, the cheese in the mixture makes it very moist and takes longer to cook.
- Remove from the oven and top with Homemade Pizza Sauce, fresh mozzarella cheese, shredded mozzarella cheese, and chicken sausage.
- Place pizza back into the oven until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle arugula on top and return to the oven for about 1 minute or so. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes before serving.